Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Week 2 - Lessons of the Micro-Deep

This week i began my observations. I started by scouting the micro-aquarium at 10x to find living organisms. I had a little luck at first but was unable to zoom in on anything in particular before it disappeared into the micro-abyss. I then began scanning the aquarium floor for other creatures of the micro-deep. There, i found skeleton remains of micro-organisms surrounded by leaf and mud sediment. It was horrible, there no signs of a struggle that i could find, however these organisms did not die peacefully. Judging by the Ostracods i observed later, these were clearly the remains of their ancestors, long forgotten to the micro-world. I observed these Ostracods along with Cyclops feeding on the dead leaf and mud sediment multiple times. It seems that in the micro-universe just like the real one, we are all forced to feed on what the dead have left behind. However, Desmids do not follow this age old code of ethics inside the Micro-World. These desmids were starstruck algea. All they cared about was being in the spotlight or sunlight, or uv light or whatever light they can absorb. They seemed to be naive and dumb. But, they weren't as the diatoms i observed. I have never felt so bad for such a small thing. Here i was, a god to this creature, and yet my fingers were to big to free him from the shackles of sediment he was clearly trapped in. He had no flagella to propel him out, nothing to free him from his weak attempt at freedom. I felt the deepest sorrow for him, but there was nothing i could do. I hope to find more creatures of the micro-deep next week in order to assess the micro-symbiosis taking place in this micro-world.

No comments:

Post a Comment